Doraemon's Eyes

Friday, December 3, 2010

A Thousand Dollar Blessing

I've been in short of money ever since coming back from Perth. That's right. I'm almost money-less.

Five days ago, I checked the balance on one of my bank accounts; it said that I've only $234 left. Seeing that, I almost blackout. Many questions bombarded my brains, and I can't answer them.

So going home from the bank, I prayed silently in my car. I said:

"Lord, I hate taking money from my parents. I'm 23, and I think it's only fair that I find my own money. So please help me Lord, so that I don't ever take their money again. Amen."

I ended it at that.

And then, on a Wednesday, Dec 1st 2010, I got a call from an employee at my mum's office. She asked me to bank-in (deposit) a $250,000 cash to DBS Bank before 6 pm. At first, I wanted to reject it, and just stayed at home as I was writing a script at that time. But I couldn't concentrate somehow.

So I blatantly said yes to that.

Upon collecting the money from another bank, I noticed it was all a $1000 bill. No tenths, fifties, or hundredths dollar bill. It was $250,000 in a single $1000 bill - 250 pieces all together, stucked in a rather small envelope. Thus the envelope looked fat, and very bulky. It's like I'm carrying tiny pieces of gold-plated armours.

As I gave the money to the teller at the bank, I was told to wait for a minute, while they counted the money using one of those money-counting machine.

At this point, I noticed the teller's impression was rather stressful. I asked her why. She said the amount of money deposited doesn't match what's written on the paper. Hearing that, I was flabbergasted. Because I thought I had to top-up the remaining amount using my own money. So I asked her how much should I top-up. Again, she asked me to wait, while she counted the money... again.

Let me tell you this, I have never been inside a bank for so long before. I had to stand for almost 35 mins, and was pressured by the fact that there was a very long queue behind me. I was taking their time away. The looks on their faces were priceless. I thought someone was about to shoot me right in the head for hogging one of the tellers.

Anyway, 35 minutes later, the teller told me this astonishing line:

"Sir, the amount you gave me is $251,000. There's a $1000 extra money in the envelope. So here's your $1000 back."

At that moment, I was speechless... And rather confused. I meant, what should I do with this money? I wanted to go to the other bank (where I got the money from), and gave them back their $1000 extra. But at that time, it was 6.15 pm. All major banks in Singapore closed at 5, or some, 6 pm.

So I was in real dilemma at that time. I called my friend, she asked me to stop being an idiot, and just kept the money. And knowing that I was in need of money myself, I took it like a blessing from the Lord.

I wasn't stealing, and I didn't have any intention to keep the money. I was in fact looking at ways to give the money back to the other bank. And to be honest, I was incredibly guilty of taking the money. However, all possibilites and reasonings pointed at me to have the money.

To that end, I acknowledged that I was blessed. It was a thousand dollar blessing from the Lord. And let me tell you this, I had so much confident in God now, as He is taking care of me in every possible ways that I can't even think of. I don't have to worry about the little things anymore. It's all taken care of.

What a wonderful God we have... I seriously think that my God is the best.

To finish off, let me ask you a question: when was the last time you get a thousand dollar bill?

William Lim

1 comment: