Doraemon's Eyes

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Recently Learned Lessons

This was something that I learned recently from a video, "if you've never fail, you've never lived".

http://www.facebook.com/wklim#!/video/video.php?v=198400150523&ref=mf

That sounds pretty astounding to me given that I want to reach my dream as an award-winning filmmaker.

It's like giving me a warning that I am bound to fail anytime I'm pursuing my dream; but at the same time, it gave me hope that failing is not really a bad thing. In fact, it's a part of life.

As a matter of fact, people fails. It takes some fair bit of time and some pinch of risk for a dream to be achieved.

Even "Steven Spielberg" failed at one time. But that did not stop him from making movies. It encouraged him further to make one of the most horrifying films ever, "Jaws" (1975). And it was an enormous success.

Some people stop pursuing their dreams not because they're afraid of failing, but they're afraid of the risks involved in accomplishing their dreams.

Risk is the main component that is holding a dream back; it makes people think that they're bound to fail.

But truth be told, "no risk, no life." That was what I learned from another video.

http://www.facebook.com/haweh#!/video/video.php?v=10150229732515261&ref=mf

After watching that video, it felt that God has answered me about doubts pertaining not only to my dream, but also my life.

I, myself, am afraid of taking risk sometime; let alone my big dream - to be an award-winning filmmaker. When I told my friends about my dream, they all laughed.

Of course they laughed, who wouldn't laughed? I'm studying as an engineer for God's sake, but I want to be a filmmaker. Where's the connection in that?

However, what these people don't understand is that, I have passion in filmmaking. And frankly enough, I don't have any passion for engineering. Not even a little bit.

Now, imagine that I'm about to drive a car.

Passion is the key that starts my engine. Without it, the car won't move at all.

Risk is the obstacle that is lying on the road. If I hit on an obstacle on the road, my car may be damaged. Hence, I fail. But those damages are lessons that I should never hit that obstacle again, and thus I will avoid it next time I drive. Without it, I won't learn a lesson at all.

From failing, I develop, wisdom.

Wisdom is my "GPS" that will keep me safe on the road without hitting any obstacle, and making sure that I will reach that destination safely. Without it, I'll be lost.

The destination is where my dream is. It's the place that I should go to achieved my dreams.

Passion, Risk, and Wisdom are a complete package to be used when dreams are being pursued. They are like the tour guide steering the dreamer to the right destination.

So these are the lessons that I recently learned. And I really hope that I'll stick to these recently learned lessons when I'm pursuing my dreams.

William Lim

3 comments:

  1. Hey Will
    I dont laugh at your dream...

    to be able to even have a dream
    is already a gift .... do you know that ?
    to know that one direction that you can and willing to pursue..
    and let your life falls around that one Direction..

    is wonderful Will !!

    I myself dont have one dream
    I have many small2 wishes....no big dreams

    so I wont laugh..
    and I encourage you.... don ever stop
    and don ever let reality be a catalyst to stop you from pursuing your dream...

    You will never know that your engineering degree might just help you in building your movie sets :) haoehoahe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you think I should work first before making a film?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it feels so different to read your post compare to mine. All your post (well, so far I've read) is about dream and inspiration, you talked about something BIG that can make a BIG change. But what I'm doing now? It's about how depress I am, or how I keep running away from my work, or how afraid I am to face the world. Honestly I feel like I'm the biggest looser in the world. I can't properly face people, I'm too ashame of myself. I'm not saying I don't have dream, I have dream, a big one like yours and like you too I don't like my current study. Even when I talk about my dream to my mom she said I'm in a wrong course if I really want to achieve my dream. It's already hard enough for me to support myself... But your post inspires me, I want to, well I need to left my past and walk straight ahead although deep in my heart I still have some doubts but I try to =) Let's reach our dream together ^^ GBU

    ReplyDelete